Starry Night Sky with Bow

The Wakening, Book 2

The sequel to Dawn of Wonder is underway. Having done all this once before, I hope that the second time around things will be quicker, but I have a feeling this could be a longer book than the first, which will naturally push the release back again. A longer book means a longer wait, but a more satisfying read.

The sequel has many similarities to the first book, but also some marked differences. There is more urgency to this part of the tale, as anyone who as read the first book would imagine. It was extremely difficult to keep myself from writing this book as the first, with a few chapters to summarise the events of book 1. But then there would have been little space to explore that childhood sense of wonder, that secret place inside that some of us remember well and others only vaguely. I also wanted a big foundation for the relationships, the skills, and the hopes that drive the sequel. Book 2 wants to be a furious expression of some of the deepest cries of the heart, at the same time as a sturdy adventure.

Book 3 is in the wings. With this one, the scale is going to increase significantly, and the mysteries will lead far deeper. There’s a great deal to explore, and I’m itching to pursue the threads that were introduced earlier. That book tugs at my thoughts constantly, like it’s jealous of the time being given to book 2. For me, it’s like trying to manage a couple of kids jostling for attention – not unlike being a teacher again.

Thank you to everyone who has bought the debut. I really appreciate all the support. Without you getting behind the first book, it would be very difficult to complete the second. As it is, the sequel looks to be shaping up well. I hope you’ll find it worth the wait.

401 thoughts on “The Wakening, Book 2

1. Sidney

Just wanted to share my experience with the first novel: I am a distance runner, and use audiobooks as my companion for long and regular training sessions (with varied results). To all: It’s incredible how much you can be transported into a story when you’re able to zone out of the real world in the name of mindless exercise. 10/10 recommend running + a good book. Seriously life changing, and the sole reason I’m now a marathonist!

Anyways, never have I been more eager to run longer and more often than when listening to this book – I couldn’t stop! Lately, I found myself daydreaming a few times to a time that I was completely at bliss, and realized I was reminiscing about listening to the Dawn of Wonder while running along the river. I just had to share how much I LOVED your story and that despite finishing it months ago, I still dream of it and the pleasure of living through it often. Can’t wait for the next installment – I know it will be amazing, and lead to many more blissful river and forest runs. 🙂

2. LarsNull

As with absolutely everyone else, I loved the book and want more. Put that silly Masters stuff on hold and write, will ya? Pretty, pretty please? We all thank you, Jonathan!

3. Ran

I read Dawn of Wonder free through kindle unlimited. I enjoyed it so much that I purchased it so that I could have it to read again when the mood takes me. I am eagerly awaiting the second book. I am very surprised Dawn of Wonder isn’t on someone’s best seller list. Fabulous writing. Thank you Mr. Renshaw. I truly enjoy your writing.

4. Isaac darby

My dad says your book is like a big preview, but I loved book 1. I cannot wait until you bring us book 2 and eventually book 3. Keep the narrator and keep up the awesome work!

5. Victor

I must concur with other post asking for the same narrarator – and I’d ask that for all three books. An excellent story deserves excellent delivery, and you’d be hard pressed to improve upon this chap.

6. Cat

As a truck driver, and fantasy book enthusiast I can’t wait for this next book…the narrator you had for the first book was absolutely amazing..I don’t think you could find anyone more suited to your story.

1. Kyle Dudley

I totally agree!
      I been dyin’ for this. It was so down to earth and the fantasy aspects of it came in so naturally. The end I have listened to on audible probably 5 times, and I listened to it about 3 times in total. ALL 29 hours. The only thing that has got me this excited was The Name of the Wind. Then again I don’t know which new book for the series I am more excited about. The Name of the Wind’s newest book? Kings Dark Tidings newest book? OR THIS FRIGGIN WORK OF ART!
      IT WAS FREAKING WONDERFUL!
      😀

7. Kyle Hinkebein

I can’t WAIT for the second book on Audible. This is easily the best book I’ve ever listened to. If you haven’t listened to the audiobook, it’s amazing!! Even if you’ve already read this, the voice narrating in the audiobook is amazing and it’s totally worth enjoying and reliving the wonder all over again.

8. Sean Thomas

Dear Mr. Renshaw
    My 12 year old son and I listened to your book and loved it. My son is on the autism-Asperger spectrum and has trouble focusing. I have read him a number of books before bed over the years. Never has a story so engaged him. He laughed, cried and eagerly anticipated each new chapter. When I told him we had to wait for the next book he said, “Noooo!” with tears in his eyes. (This is not meant as a guilt trip 🙂 )

Thank you for Aedon. I have been reading fantasy & sci fi since I was a teen in the 70’s, and he is hands down my favorite character. A true Hero, I am excited to meet him again.

1. Christian Cook

Great comment, Hope your soon gets to hear the second book soon. Because I am waiting on it as well and I am not even finished with the first. I am listening to it now and it is great.

9. Marc

I thought I wrote a comment, but apparently I did not. Well here goes, I was deeply touched by your book. Though I would not put it in the same arena as the shack or peace like a river but there was a certain spirituality in it that was the perfect touch. The story is an action adventure so that is what we are looking for, but for the extra kick of depth that was the wow affect! lol
    I do think that the next book will be just as fantastic, because someone that goes through that many rewrites and really looks their books will do a great job, but I just wanted to make mention, that you don’t lose the person that does the audio for the book. He is perfect for the part. I loved how he put expression into the words, that brought out the pictures in my head. I have to work with the elderly and there is some down time that I just clean up and to listen to a book like that brings joy to my day. So please if at all possible, use that same narrator for your next books. Thank you.

10. Larry

Jonathan Renshaw,

I must say I am an avid reader, I am sure there are others who have read many more books than I, but I believe I read more than the average folk. I have a humble opinion in the big scheme of things but I do want you to receive this with as much weight as possible. The Dawn of Wonder, is quite possibly the best book I have ever read, your writing is beautiful, very in tune with nature in the mystic beauty of the world. I have lived a life much like this young boy in more ways than one. It is of course why I identify with Aeden but beyond that the book is just down right wonderful, I just want to say thank you very much and enjoy yourself in the following books. I am sure they will be pure gold just like the first.
    Larry

11. Michael Dellaro

Unlike most I will not beg for you to speed up or to provide an ETA. All that I ask is that you put as much thought into the sequel as you put into the original as it is outstanding. Thank you very much for the magnificent book, I appreciate you and your craft. May whatever muse guides your pen keep the path full of wonder.

1. I. Akosionu

Mr. Renshaw, I really enjoyed your first book and am am enjoying the prospect of more in the future. Thanks for following your passion.

12. Mark Lawrence

Dear Mr. Renshaw,

First off, excellent work with the first book. Like so many others, I’m always on the hunt for a good book. Prior to reading your book I had been in a slump. I had read several books that left me feeling torn between finishing the book simply because I had started, and putting it down to find something better. I hate that feeling, and I hate leaving books unfinished. The first installment of this series however, was the proverbial slam dunk of book selection. Everything about it was excellent, and I thought characters and character development was particularly excellent. The only problem I had, was that you gave it such a spectacular ending. But the only reason this is a problem, is because the second book isn’t out yet. But other than that, you killed it.

Sincerely,